lunes, 25 de abril de 2011

Chillaxing in Istanbul

Chillaxing in Istanbul

25th April 2011
Day 2 in Istanbul. 

Hernan and I have finally finished our training. We now have our certificates in basic first aid, safety and fire fighting and crowd management. All we have to do now is a test which we’ll do in Naples, I think. The certificate for crowd management lasts 5 years while the basic first aid, safety and fire fighting lasts a life time!
We’ll be at sea for two days before reaching Naples. Only 3 more days until Rich and Lee sign off… not looking forward to it. We’ve got a good little group.
After training Luci, Stu, David and I headed into Istanbul to a Turkish café to use the internet. We’ve been here for about 2 hours so far. This time the prices are rather cheap.
A Turkish man is just walking down the road with a massive, and I mean massive, tray loaded with rolls. Everywhere you look there are stands or people walking around selling corn on the cob, pretzel style bread and roast chestnuts. It’s a completely different lifestyle to what I’m used to. I still can’t get my head around eating cucumbers covered in salt!
I’ve spoken to the parents again, they are leaving for Uruguay tomorrow so getting in contact with them will be a lot easier once they are home. Dad told me off for swearing – I doubt I’ll ever be too old for a nagging. It was good to hear from them again.
Later on today or tonight after work I’m going to download some of Hernan’s images from the toga party and team lunch… I wish I’d taken my camera. Now I’m going to take my baby Canon 400D everywhere I go. 

Before dinner Fede got some smashing photos on his new toy: Canon 5D – the image quality is amazing. I want it! I want it! I want it! Hmm… I’d better get my arse in gear, earn some commission and save to get that camera. Apparently the best place to go for cameras is St. Maartins…  God knows when I’ll get there but at least I’ll have plenty of time to save up!
Right I’d better get back to the ship and get ready for work. I might try and squeeze in another nap. Taking naps is a big thing in ship life. You don’t get a lot of sleep so you take naps here and there to catch up. Since I’ve been working on the Mariner of the Seas the longest I've slept is probably about 5 hours. The shortest… 2 and a half hours! Pro Plus is seriously needed! The motto in our department: Work Hard, Play Hard!
Take care and I’ll update as soon as possible although it might be when we reach Naples.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario