martes, 7 de junio de 2011

Laundry Mayhem

Laundry Mayhem
30th May 2011
The captain of the ship has switched our days in Israel around. Originally we were in Haifa and then Ashdod. Both Israeli ports are big tour days for us photographers, so we all had to be on top form. 

Last night was formal night and we all went to bed at about 2am so getting up at 6am was a real challenge. Most of the team were on tour. Stu was dressed up as the camel on the gangway with Fabio shooting. Jeni was on the rail while I was working with Zoran on life ring. Rather than both trying to shoot, I let him have a go and just smudged for him. Even though I’m not the greatest myself it gave him an idea of what to say rather than “can I take your photo?” To be honest, Zoran seems pretty cool.

Poor Zoran was supposed to join us in Civitavecchia but Image made a real muck up of his flight. Zoran's flight left him with very little time to get from the airport to the port. I'm told it's about an hour and a half to two hour drive from the port. Just as Zoran arrived at the port, Mariner of the Seas was sailing away to our next port of call. Funnily enough, Zoran wasn't alone. A guest's flight had been delayed. Luckily enough the two weren't completely on their own and ended up sharing a hotel room for the night. Both made the most of being in Rome and did a bit of sightseeing during the evening.

The next day, both Zoran and the guest, who I think is from Ireland, got the train from Rome to Naples to meet the Mariner. What a journey, especially if you are a new hire! At least Zoran didn't have to do it all alone! Likewise for the guest, of course.
Later on Zoran went to training so I was shooting the ring. So many people said they’d had their photo taken on the rail which has a life ring so they didn’t want another of the same taken. Point taken. I started smudging for Jeni on the rail.
At 9.30 there were only 356 passengers left on board. We stayed until 10 before calling it a day and heading in. In total we had about 600 images – mostly from the camel. We were now off until 16.00 when we’d all be heading to the gallery to display the images from gangway, decks, formal night ressi and studios.
There was no point going out as there was nothing to do in Israel unless you are on tour or have plenty of time off. Everything is so spread out, we’d spend a fortune on taxis. The shuttle bus only took you to the beach and shopping centre where the park is located.

We were going to go to the park but David’s been ill for the past couple of days. He was feeling ill for a while and when he went to the medical his blood pressure was going through the roof. The on-shore doctor gave him pills and he’s had about five injections. The injections have actually made his arm cramp and seize up so now he's wearing a sling. He's had more medication inside him than a chemist has to offer!!
Most of the crew had gone on the crew tour to the Dead Sea. We obviously couldn’t go as they left while we were on gangway and returning well after we were due in the gallery. It’s a shame but I took the opportunity to get my washing done. How fun am I? If only it was that easy. I had to wait nearly 2 hours to get my hands on a washing machine!! 

For 1,300 odd crew members there were only 7 washing machines and dryers. Two washing machines and dryers were out of order. Putting the washing in the dryer I had to put it on two cycles to get everything dry. By then I had to leave for work. 

While in the gallery I got a call from a Chilean/Spanish crew member to say he’d taken my laundry out the machine, put it in my bags and told me where I could find it. He was worried some of my clothes might go missing as 3 guys started pulling it out the dryer and chucking it around!! It's a fact of ship life that I hate. So many crew members have little or no respect for other people's things. It's even been known for people's washing, or at least certain items, to go missing!
The rest of the evening was a bit of a boring blur. Display took about two hours and there were five of us in the gallery with no guests. The guests were still on tour so we had a laugh at some of the gangway images and mucked about a bit. You'd be surprised by some of the images we take. Or should that be: the memories we capture?
Talking to Stu he said he wanted to wear his armour tomorrow as Rhodes would be next tour. I suggested dressing up as a Crusader as they occupied Haifa at one point. 

Later during the evening he called me to his cabin to tell the about the costume he’d thought up. He was reluctant to show me but put the armour on and cape over his clothes. I’d have to wait to see the entire costume tomorrow in all its glory.

Using our name badges we fastened a bed sheet to his shirt to act as a cape for the meantime. The entire costume did look good so tomorrow should be great! It’d give us a glimpse of what we have in store for Rhodes. 

As most people are on tours they are less likely to have their photo taken as they are rushing towards their buses. Hopefully, with this costume being that little extra special, we'll get people willing to stop and get their photo taken with our Crusader. I’m on tour tomorrow and will be leading the guests towards our tour bus. I'll conveniently lead them over towards Stuart, act like I'm waiting for people to catch up while the others get their photos taken.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario