sábado, 6 de agosto de 2011

Olé... Flamenco!

Olé… Flamenco
27th July 2011
Today we’re in Palma de Mallorca, the last port of call of our current cruise. 

Palma de Mallorca port has got to be the worse we’ve ever seen! It’s literally a tiny concrete area that looks more like a car park. Everyone knows Civitavecchia is ugly and full of shipping containers but this place is something else. Straight in front of the port is a concrete wall with a dual carriageway passing over.
Sandra and Camila are both in costume on gangway as our Spanish Flamenco dancers. Sandra certainly looks the part. Zoran and I were shooting. I was paired up with Sandra while Camila and Zoran were teamed up. The schedule for the gangway was all wrong. 

Normally only one costume goes to the Savoy Theatre. Today, all of us were trying to shoot in the entrance of the theatre. It might have worked if the costumes were different rather than identical.

A few problems popped up too. Originally, Zoran was working on side and we were on the other. Zoran decided it wasn’t good enough for him and started coming over to our side. At one point, I smudged a family to have their photo taken with Sandra. Zoran came storming over, barged past me as I was taking a picture, telling the guests “Get a picture with this pretty lady (Camila)”. Both of them kept coming over to our side saying “you know what? It doesn’t matter as long as we get the counts.” Sandra and I were losing patience so we had a walk around the ship before heading outside where we started clocking up our counts.
Not long after Camila and Zoran came out and pretty much pushed us out the way to get the closest to the gangway exit. Things were starting to get nasty and finally Zoran and Camila started working the crowds that had gathered while waiting for the shuttle bus. It gave us a chance to get our counts up.
Gangway was finally over. Meeting Luci in the cabin, we got our stuff together and headed out. Camila and Sandra came along too. We were looking for somewhere to eat as well as finding our way around. Popping into a chemist I managed to get some more pills for my knee which is still swelling up like a balloon. Still, I’m avoiding the medical facility.
As we were walking around we came to a large square with a castle in the middle, surrounded by a moat. Spread out across the square were people dressed up as characters: Charlie Chaplain. Golden Cowboy (don’t ask!), Sponge Bob Square Pants and our favourites, Shrek and Donkey!! As soon as Luci saw it she burst out laughing while shouting “Lou, I need to get your picture with Shrek. It’s Stu”. Sandra and I cracked up. Camila didn’t know what we were on about.
We finally came across somewhere to eat that also had wifi. It was the most reasonably priced place and located in a tiny backstreet off the main road. The food was absolutely gorgeous!! Especially when compared to the food on the ship.
With a couple of hours left until we all had to start work, we headed back towards the shuttle bus. Stopping on the way we found a small Eroski supermarket. I was desperate to find somewhere I could buy PG Tips… I’ve been craving a cup of English tea in the mornings, especially with the early starts. Coca-cola just doesn’t have the same effects. Unfortunately, all they had was cheap tea which tastes foul and an unlimited selection of coffee.
There was a massive queue for the shuttle bus which wasn’t expected. All on board was at 22.30 so we didn’t expect many people to be coming back to the Mariner so early. It was a mix of guests and crew. 

When getting on the bus we had to flash our crew ID. One lady sneered “oh, these are all crew”. She started complaining to the woman she was with that the guests should be allowed on the bus first and there wasn’t enough space for all crew and guests on the same bus. Stuff it! We might be crew but we are still people! Sometimes we are treated as if we are animals and it’s something I have troubles getting used to and keeping my temper over.
Once on the ship, I had just over an hour to sleep before formal night began. For once I was on a centrum and my favourite was too. I was actually looking forward to shooting the Royal Promenade Centrum. 

After Ressi, I was heading back to my studio to find Simon from Production dismantling my studio. What the hell? He passed me and Fede the entire light still mounted on the auto pole. When I asked what the hell was going on, he seemed annoyed telling me there was a parade and they didn’t want our studio in the way. Fede and I quickly dismantled the lot before the place become too crowded. Plus the studio equipment was just dumped in the middle of the walk way. Anyone trips over that and no doubt there’ll be a law suit.
By the time I’d taken all the equipment to the lift the parade had ended. A whole five minutes of parade meant I’d lost 1.5 hours of shooting. My target was a long way off. The place was too crowded therefore too dangerous to put the studio back up. 

Packing everything away, I joined Luci in the gallery for the rest of the night. By the time we were finished it was 2am and we were all completely knackered. 

Looking at the schedule for the next day, I had my first lay in during this cruise and wasn’t working until 13.00. A lay in was not only well deserved but seriously needed too… and it was welcomed with open arms!
Sandra in her Flamenco costume
¡Olé! Sandra on the Savoy Theatre Stairs

Sandra and Edi (Laundry)

Sandra and Clint (Crew Culinary)

Flamenco Dancer (Sandra), Hernan and Fede

Fede and Sandra

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario