domingo, 17 de julio de 2011

Bright Light

Bright Light
11th July 2011
That’s a wrap! The Istanbul cruise has come to a close and we are preparing for the final Holy Tour route to Israel. It’s out with the old (guests) and in with the new. It’s very much like that on the cruise ship, in a way, it can be seen almost as a bus route. A very luxurious, expensive bus route but a bus route all the same.
We are back in Civitavecchia, Italy. Things on this embarkation are a bit different from the last. In fact the entire cruise was different from the previous. We are no longer allowed to set up studios in the terminal as we were “holding people up and causing queues” because people were waiting in line to have their photo taken. This time we had two backdrops set up outside and once again there was no shade. We had to wear our black Get The Picture shirts… lovely! The smell of cat’s pee was rife and making a few stomachs turn. 

As soon as we were finished setting up, the guests started coming through. We were all on time for once and things were running as smooth as possible until my pentab took a leave of absence and then a guest knocked it over!! R.I.P. pentab is all I can say. 

Another bonus was that we weren’t under staffed. Okay, so it was Camila’s first embarkation but she did a good job. She just needed to stop chatting to the huge amount of Brazilian guests she saw. She did give it a good go though, and that’s what matters the most. 

Sanela still needs to speed up and stop standing around, maybe that’ll come with time. Somehow I doubt it. It’s almost as if she doesn’t want to be here so refuses to put the effort in. You don’t have the be the greatest as a new hire, no one expects it. All you have to do is show an interest and try. That’s all anyone asks for.
So, it’s been two weeks since Stu made his abrupt exit from the team. Although I sometimes miss having Stu around to talk to and have a joke with, things are easier going. I’m still appreciative of his training and everything he's done for me, but now I’m far more relaxed about things and not constantly worried about being scrutinized. In fact, I’m settling in nicely, feeling more and more confident about what I do as the days tick on. In a way, I’m glad.

The atmosphere is a lot more chilled and I’m not the only one to notice it. Certain other things have been said about Stu’s departure and what went on, so it’s not just me. This isn’t a case of “out of sight, out of mind” but if you’re on the team or know one of us personally to know the full story, you’d know what we’re on about. 

It’s safe to say there is light at the tunnel and it just so happen to be a very bright light. I’m enjoying my time on the ship more than ever. In the end, the day Stu and Jeni left, everyone grew that little bit closer. Everyone was there for one another and it was like we became a stronger “family” unit. We became a stronger and better team. Naples proved that we are a fantastic team. I think the Mariner of the Seas photog team is brilliant and now we're like an on board family. We are all very different but in a way, so very similar and just click.
The itinerary hasn’t changed but the order has. Setting sail at 17.00, we were in for two days at sea. That seemed like hell, after all, we’d only just stepped onto dry land after two sea days.  Afterwards we are set to arrive in Haifa followed by Ashdod, Israel. 

Formal night is tomorrow and there is a massive group of Brazilians on board. Jomar is telling us to shoot the Brazilians as much as possible as they will buy absolutely everything. He’s certain this cruise will be a good earner, simply because of the Brazilians on board. Whoever would have thought that one nationality would have made such an impact?
As it’s the start of a new cruise, it’s also payday! My wages were pretty good. I sold quite a lot last cruise even though it didn’t seem like it. While in the gallery, I’ve been choosing an item or two to sell which gets offered to every single person. It makes a difference. 

The best news of all, was that there were no deductions made to my salary. When I asked why, I was told that I’d finally paid off my debt to Image. The deposit, camera and uniform ($1,300) were paid. Finally! Now anything that came my way was for me and my savings… or so I thought.
During the meeting Jomar told us that Ocean Pay would soon be coming our way. Ocean Pay is a debit card where our future salaries will get paid on to. It means we won’t have wads of cash stashed in our safes. That’s the main advantage to Ocean Pay.

If you have family at home whom you want to send money to, the transaction fee is a lot less than what the banks would charge. However, with every pro there’s a con. We are allowed one free withdrawal every 2 weeks, after that there is a charge and I have no idea how much it is. No one does.

The main kick in the teeth that comes with Ocean Pay is that three weeks of our wages will be held, almost as a deposit. What the deposit is for I don’t know. When we questioned it, our BM told us “I don’t know. It’s just the way it is.” 

From what Jomar was telling us, new hires will not get paid at all until they have paid off their debt to Image. Personally, this seems extremely unfair, considering new hires have to spend a considerable amount of money getting their medical, visas and uniform sorted. For me, if I was joining Image today, with the new system, I’d think twice and probably by pass working on cruise ships. The main reason for this is because I simply wouldn’t be able to afford to pay for it all and have enough for two months plus of ships. It’s madness.
Now that we are finally sailing towards Haifa, Israel, it’s time to get some sleep before working in the gallery. Two days at sea, and I’m planning to catch up on my sleep as much as possible.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario