sábado, 3 de septiembre de 2011

Brilliance of the Seas

Brilliance of the Seas
25th August 2011
Running upstairs after Morning Sale I had a quick coffee before changing out of my work clothes. Royal Caribbean’s Brilliance of the Seas is in Civitavecchia the ship Lee is currently working onboard. 

Jumping on the shuttle bus into the port centre with Janette from Cruise Staff, we waited around for another bus to take us to Brilliance. One didn’t come. There were six cruise ships in the port and it was mayhem at the bus stop.
What to do when there are no buses around? Walk! Once we finally arrived Janette was met by her friend from Brilliance. Security rang Lee’s cabin only for me to be told that he’d gone out. Crap!
Back in Civitavecchia port I had a poodle around, looking in some of the shops and market stalls before heading back to the ship. Maybe Lee was at the Mariner? If not, I’d have a snooze before updating my blog. I was really set of seeing Lee again though.
Walking through the crew terminal and heading towards the crew gangway, Hernan popped his head out from the guest terminal. He called me in saying he’d been phoning my cabin for ages. He pointed over my shoulder, looking around Lee was talking to Jomar. Lee was here!!!
I charged over and got a massive bear hug from Lee and a twirl around. It was great seeing him again! I was over the moon!!! We stood around speaking to Jomar and Paco for a bit. Lee’d brought two new hires from his ship with him. Both had gone to training with Camila and Leandro.  As I was off until 17.30, I tagged along with Lee and headed into Civitavecchia port – again.
Before getting on the shuttle bus to Brilliance of the Seas we wandered off for some ice cream. Opening his wallet, Lee discovered he’d been robbed. I thought he was joking at first. Turns out Lee and the two new hires went to a fast food place across the road and Lee forgot his wallet on the counter. The lady behind the counter called him over pretty much straight away to give him his wallet. Now €70 had gone missing. His US Dollars were still there, it was just the Euros that had disappeared. Lee was seeing red! He went back into the fast food place to speak to the lady who denied everything – obviously.
Back at Brilliance I got a Visitors tag and Lee showed me around the place. If you’re ever visiting another ship, do not take a bag with you. It’s only one down from walking onto the ship with a sod off shot gun. Security took my bag from me and said they’d leave it at the front for me to collect.
Lee showed me his cabin which is a tad smaller than mine. Brand Quality were on board so Lee had to change into his uniform before going into the guest area to show me around the rest of the ship. I didn’t realize how small Brilliance of the Seas was, especially when comparing to Mariner of the Seas. Their gallery looks far more modern and better kept than ours but it was literally half the size.
For formal night they have a couple of studios situated around the Centrum which is a just a simple spiral. Lee said its lit up with different colours during the evening. It was kind of dull and simple compared to Mariner of the Seas. The dining rooms were the best. We have three massive dining rooms (Deck 3 - 5). Brilliance’s dining rooms were across two decks and were like our “bananas” which is the smallest area. I was shocked at how small the place was.
Sitting down in the staff bar area we had a drink and a bloody long chat about pretty much everything. It was great being able to sit down with someone like Lee and talk about the past, present and future. It felt strange in a way. When I first met Lee I was a new hire and there I was, Photog 2 and four and a half months into my contract. It seemed unreal. 

While speaking to Lee he bought up my blog. Since he’s been on vacation he’s read it from start to finish. One I’m amazed someone like Lee, an experienced photographer would want to read about a new hire’s journey and two he was thrilled by some of the things that were said about him.
Lee reckons our ships will be in Istanbul for an overnight together. If it’s true, we’ll have to meet up and go out. Both our photog teams. It’d be a great laugh. His team is made up of about six or seven while we have ten. Could you image, sixteen photographers hitting the town in Istanbul together? One thing’s for sure, when that day arrives, it’ll be one to talk about for contracts to come!
Brilliance of the Seas

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario