jueves, 24 de noviembre de 2011

Last Gangway

Last Gangway
24th October 2011
Dragging ourselves out of bed, Hernan and I were the only ones due on gangway. It was our last gangway… for now, anyway. It would be the last time either of us were dressing up in costume for a long time. 

Disney have crew members who dress up as the characters... it's not the photographers job! I won't lie. Dressing up on gangway is one of the best parts of my job so I’d certainly miss it! Having said that, full costumes like Mickey Mouse, in the Bahamian heat is enough to make anyone think twice about dressing.
While Hernan and I were on gangway there was a red drill taking place. That wasn’t the only bit of action going on. I was dressed up in what we are told is the typical Cretan attire. A personal tour guide asked me what I was dressed up in. When I told her, she flew off into one. Apparently my outfit has nothing to do with Crete and looks more fitting in Switzerland or Germany. She had a point if I’m honest. “If you go out into Chania (Crete) you won’t see people wearing those clothes” she told me. I couldn’t help reply with a bit of sarcasm at such a daft comment, “Really? If you go to Spain do you think all the girls will be wearing Flamenco dresses? Scots wear kilts all year around?” Of course not. 

The tour guide was then telling me to get out of my outfit as what we were doing was fraud. How the hell she came to that conclusion, I don’t know. Apparently Hernan and I were wrongly trying to extract money from the guests by having them pose with someone who isn’t even relevant to the country. She was perfectly okay at extracting money from the guests by taking them on private tours!

Hernan and I tried hushing the woman up by telling her that we didn’t have a choice as to what we wear on gangway. We are told to, by our managers. Just as she was going into yet another lecture, guests started spilling out the ship. Trying to make the women quiet I said, rather abruptly “Look, the guests are coming, we have a job to do, and so do you. Why doesn’t everyone just keep their mouths shut!” My patience was very nearly up! 

Luckily the lady went silent, but not for long. She soon turned on security on the podium telling her that we shouldn’t be doing this. Somehow, Precious managed to get her to shut up!! Her constant wittering and complaining was about as annoying as the high pitched buzzing of a mosquito flying around your ear!!
By the end of gangway Hernan and I had 220 which obviously wasn’t a good result but compared to normal, we didn’t do too badly.
Straight after the drill was an all crew meeting in Studio B. The Captain and other officials of the Mariner of the Seas were telling us about what would happen and the changes made once the ship arrives in US waters. First of all, no food or drink could be consumed outside the ship. We couldn’t even take our coffees out onto the open deck outside the Staff Mess. Not even a can of coke! It all seemed very strict.
Next topic was about keeping our cabins and corridors clean. No parties in cabins and corridors are allowed but of course they are going to take place. We were told to tidy up after ourselves. “Your mom isn’t on board to clean up after you” we were told. Up on the projection screen and multiple TVs surrounding the studio flashed up photos of a dirty corridor. The sight hit us like a slap in the face when we realize it was the Photographer’s Corridor. We all cracked up, sniggering and trying to hide our faces from any Officers. Someone was saying our corridor is now famous! 

The picture, however, was taken when Zoran and Fabio’s cabin had been flooded so they had to leave some stuff outside while waiting for the carpet to dry. Who took the photo? We had our suspicions but couldn’t be sure. We did, however, want to give that person a pat on the back. Although it was supposed to be a serious matter, we could only see the funny side of it all. A couple of the spa girls were laughing, they too had recognised our corridor. Looking over towards us crying with laughter only confirmed it.
One good thing about Chania is that they have free wi-fi in the port which we can use from Deck 5 Aft. Sandra, David and I were all perched on our chairs, trying to contact the outside world, keeping warm with a coffee and finally, the connection was so slow, we lost it. To add salt to an open wound, the heaven’s opened up yet again and started raining.
Later during the evening, it was the last formal night for the three of us. We were all overly excited. We were like kids on too much caffeine and colouring. Hernan and I could at least say we’d caught up on our sleep a little while the others were doing set up but, in all honesty, a new found adrenaline had kicked in. 

I was up on Deck 5 Centrum which surprised me. I thought I’d be on my beloved ship background. Strangely enough, I’ve become very fond of the ship background. Although please to be on my favourite centrum, I was secretly disappointed for not being on ship. There’s no pleasing some, hey!!
The night sped past. Whitney, Svenja and Ashleigh popped by the studios to see us. Although I was over the moon about going home, getting some rest and relaxing, it started to dawn on me what I’d be leaving behind. Like everything, the Mariner of the Seas had it’s downsides. Having said that, the thing that made working on the ship great were the people. The people that I’ve met throughout my time here are priceless, they made the job fun and I’d sorely miss them when I sign off. 

My fingers were crossed, hoping I’d be able to see and work with or/and alongside those people again. The saying “all good things must come to an end” popped into my head. Never a truer word said.

Svenja, Me, Ashleigh and Whitney

Centrum Deck 5

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario